Penne with Sausage and Peppers
- 12 ounces fresh sweet or hot Italian pork sausages, removed from casing
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 bell peppers, thinly sliced (I used a variety of colors)
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes with basil
- ½ teaspoon each salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 lb. penne pasta , or other pasta
1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a rapid boil.
2. Meanwhile cook sausage in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat 5 minutes or until browned, breaking up chunks with a wooden spoon. Remove to a plate.
3. Add oil, peppers and onion to skillet. Cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Push vegetables aside, add garlic and sauté 1 minute until fragrant. Stir in sausage, tomatoes, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 10 minutes to blend flavors.
4. Meanwhile stir pasta into boiling water and cook as package directs.
5. Drain pasta, transfer to a large serving bowl, add sauce and toss to mix and coat.
Per serving: 547 cal, 20 g pro, 67 g car, 4 g fiber, 21 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 43 mg chol, 855 mg sod